Healthy Parent-Child Relationship: Importance of bonding
Until one has a child, parenting may just be one of the most extraordinary and the most fulfilling roles that can be experienced. However, as with all of the different roles that we may play in life, parenting can be absolutely challenging as well. In this article, we will be discussing the importance of a healthy Parent-Child bonding/Relationship.
Reading a Parent’s Mind
As a parent, we would always want to shield our children from all of the pain that this world may bring. Sadly, a parent can’t play a superhero’s role. Nevertheless, there are a few steps and acts that parents may do to grant a healthy parent-child bonding. This is extremely important in order to build a mentally healthy parent-child relationship with our children. Then the questions may arise, “what can a parent do to raise a child who is ready to handle all of the highs and lows of life? What are the benefits?”
A Positive Parent-Child Relationship
A positive or healthy parent-child relationship can be when it is emotionally, mentally, socially, and physically nurturing. Such, when built, it creates a unique and genuine blanket of a bond that lays a firm foundation as a child’s personality is developed. After all, a child’s future life choices will more than likely be based on his or her social, physical, mental, and emotional state of health.
When we talk about the importance of positive parent-child bonding/relationship, an interest in the possible outcome may be asked. “What are the benefits and importance of a healthy parent-child bonding or relationship?” Answers may vary from one family to another, but in sum, here’s what makes sense:
- Children who grow up in a home where relationships resound each other may have a better feel of a secure and healthy attachment. This may then allow the child to build a healthy relationship with others as they grow.
- A secure relationship at home teaches a child to control his or her emotions, especially when placed under stress and in difficult situations.
- May promote healthy and stable linguistic, mental and social behaviours.
- May lay a stable foundation for a healthy day-to-day interaction in school and in society.
- A child that has a secure attachment and a healthy parent-child relationship with a parent may contribute to a child’s ability to tackle life, guide the child with problem-solving skills, balanced decision making and attitudes.
A Positive Parental-Guidance for a Positive Parent-Child Relationship
There is no general pattern, a fool-proof rule on how to create a healthy parent-child relationship with our children. There are various parenting styles that we can keep in mind to guide us towards the best direction. Below are a few positive parenting tips that may allow us to create a healthy relationship with our children.
- Nothing beats a loving environment, where hugs are warm and kisses are unlimited. However, guidance and restriction must also be implemented.
- Listen to our children when they speak, recognise the points and feelings of love, hate, fear, etc. This allows them to feel important and verify which is very important for the healthy growth of a child.
- As parents, we carry the load of having to be the best role models. We must always try to find solutions before throwing in the towel.
- This teaches our children the meaning of toughness.
- Love is just a word and we should say it a lot of times over. We must show love in our action and also in the way we treat our children.
- Having time to play with our children, especially at a young age is highly advisable.
- The connection with our children, the language and the way we speak will allow our child to develop. It develops our children’s healthy social and creative skills.
- Having meals with our children is a great way to maintain a bond.
- Availability is needed even though how busy we are.
Importance of Parental Care
We as parents get a chance to mould a child during the formative years of life. The formative years of life begin during early childhood until they become young adults. This stage is very important in building the blocks towards stable mental health. A parent-child relationship will promote the healthiest relationship that nurtures a child physically, emotionally, and socially. This healthy parent-child relationship is very unique and everlasting which must be experienced enjoyed and nourished.
However, when parenting becomes overwhelming, professional help may provide a healthy support system that is needed to build a healthy parent-child relationship. Recently and due to the current pandemic, online mental health support has gained popularity across the world. Child psychology is often considered when a child is unresponsive to affection, learning, or has an unstable indication of unexplainable anger, mood swings, or emotional instability. At times, professional help may be needed and it is achievable through telehealth psychiatry and/or telehealth psychology, especially when services are not available locally.