A panic attack is a discrete episode of mental and physical symptoms driven by fear and anxiety. Panic attacks reach their peak within 10 mins and do not usually last more than half an hour. They can occur up to several times a day.
Symptoms of a Panic Attack:
- A sense of overwhelming fear or apprehension
- Thoughts that you are losing control, choking or having a heart attack
- Difficulty breathing and an increased heart rate
- Trembling, sweating or nausea
- Need to go to the toilet or a churning stomach
Panic attacks tend to occur out of the blue with no apparent trigger. Sometimes the symptoms of a panic attack make it feel like you are dying. It is important to remember that despite how frightening a panic attack is; it does not cause physical harm.